Saturday, October 30, 2010

Finally, the Cushion Update!

When I think of how I would like the rooms of our house decorated, I picture classic, comfortable, and a little country look.  In reality though, I'm drawn to bright primary colors.  For example, our dishes are Fiesta in Scarlet, Sunflower, Shamrock, and Cobalt.  So then, naturally when I decided to make a new cushion for our glider, I went with brighter colors again.  Here's how the whole process went...

First, I bought 3 foam egg crates and folded them in half. 

My mom came up with a brilliant idea for a cheaper choice of fabric.  Beach towels!  I bought 3 beach towels and sewed them end to end.  Then I sewed each side.

As I mentioned in my first post, I've had very little experience with a sewing machine...
Hence, the bent needle.

So, I had to break out the manual to learn how to replace the needle.

Luckily, Nanny had some in her bag of supplies that came with the sewing machine.

So I get the needle replaced and I'm sewing along, when something goes horribly wrong.  I realize that I have somehow managed to sew the towels to the sewing machine!  I don't even understand how that's possible.  But apparently, if anyone can do it, I can.

I cut the towel off the machine, and take the whole thing apart.  Somehow, the tread wound around the bobbin casing.

How am I supposed to fix this disaster?  Back to the book...

Finally, I get everything re-assembled, and it's smooth sailing from here.

What the...

OK, this is really trying my patience, but I get everything untangled, and finally, finally, finally, get everything sewn.

Ta-Da!!

It looks like it should fit just fine, but when I started putting it on...
it was a little tight. 

Luckily, Julio was always nearby to help, or hinder...

Finally, after much struggling and accidentally punching myself in the arm, I managed to get the cover on!

All I had left was to sew up the fourth side by hand.

I searched everywhere for bright red pillows.  During my search, I realized it was the wrong time of year to be looking for bright red anything.  When I was about to give up, I found the clearance aisle in Wal-Mart and UGA 24" pillows on clearance for $7.50 a piece!  The Georgia G logo was only on one side, so I bought 5 of them, brought them home, and this is how the whole thing turned out!
Pretty cute, huh?  I am exceedingly proud and impressed with myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment